MMSC Snowboarding

MMSC Snowboarding
Photo by Brian Jenkins

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Weekly update for 1/27-1/29

Once again sit back relax and prepare for a ton of information all at once. At this point of the season we are in full operation mode. There is a lot happening over the next few months and due to the unpredictable weather we have been facing we have many challenges set out in front of us. The largest obstacle is the possibility that Stowe Mountain Resort may not have a pipe this season. USASA half pipes have already been taken off of our schedule at this point. Paige is working on securing a pipe at another resort to hold NVT events in, however these events are not a sure thing at this point.

In order to protect our kids chances to get the three results needed to qualify for Nationals in Half Pipe. I have put together a plan to guarantee our riders a shot for nationals. As you all know this weekend will begin step one of this plan. We will take riders down on Friday to Mount Snow to begin training in there 18' HP. Some riders that are not racing in GS and SL over the weekend will stay and ride pipe for the weekend.

The second step in my plan will happen next Saturday 2/4 at Loon Mt., NH. The USASA New Hampshire series will hold a HP event on Saturday. We will be sending a van down with any athlete who chooses to go. We will also potentially stay with any athlete that will not be racing at Stowe on Sunday in order to get additional pipe training at Loon.

The New Hampshire series is large and they require that all riders register online for all events. To register for this event please go to;
Then choose NH region and all of the events will come up. From there click on the shaded box to the right of the chosen event;  If you will not be attending with your child  contact so she can email the waiver to you. All waivers must be signed by the parent, not the coach, per USASA NH.

    As for the events this weekend. Saturday at Smuggs will kick off our NVT racing events. Saturday will be Slalom #1 & #2. Registration will be at the Smuggs ski club once again from 8am-9am.

On Sunday we will be at Stowe for SL #3 & GS #1. Registration will once again be from 8am-9am. Location has yet to be announced. I would think it would happen at Midway but the details have not been announced as of this time. Please stay tuned to for details.

I hope to have every MMSC rider compete this weekend in all 4 races. Race events are the best way to get introduced into the world of competing for all ages. GS and SL events give a rider a chance to test their board control skills and develop more confidence on there board. GS and SL are the building blocks to success in all snowboard events. I hope all riders and families will come out and support our MMSC community this weekend both at Smuggs and especially on our home mountain Stowe.

Looking ahead in March 7th-10th Stratton, VT will host  Burton's 30th anniversary US OPEN.
Each year at the Open there is a JR. Jam half pipe event on Sunday to wrap things up for the year. It is a great chance to get into a 22' professionally built pipe. For all riders 13 and under this is an amazing experience to ride a Pipe of this quality on a large stage. Registration closes Feb 1st. To register for this event please go to and click on Junior Jam Registration on the left hand side.

The following week for all riders 13 and over,  March 12th-16th The USSA revolution tour will be coming to Mt. Snow.
This is a great chance to compete in Slopestyle and Halfpipe in a larger setting against some of the best amateur snowboarders in the country. This event will be a great warm up for Nationals. Go to for info and to register.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pipe Camp 1/27-1/29

Through much investigating, I have decided to call an audible on Killington. I have heard through a reliable source who rode the Killington pipe this past weekend during the Dew tour that the pipe is a solid block of ice. So Killington is not the best Idea.
> However I have been told by the same person that the Mt. Snow pipe is amazing. It's a full 18' and a perfect shape. I am still working on the details however it is set we are going to bring the team to Mt. Snow for training this weekend.
> As of now my game plan is to leave from Stowe at 5:30am on Friday morning.
> We will train at Mt. Snow till 3:00ish pm and the return with the van crew shortly after.
> The Friday only crew will need to bring money or food for lunch and traveling food.
> Saturday at Smugglers Notch USASA NVT will host 2 SL's  please stay tuned to for more info.
> Sunday at Stowe USASA NVT there will be a SL/GS once again stay tuned to the USASA NVT website for details.
> I have not finalized the numbers but it is looking like the cost for Friday only gas and coaching fee will be $25. This price is subject to change slightly depending on ticket costs. I am still waiting on ticket info, but I will get it to you asap.
> I hope to have all of our riders race GS/SL this weekend.
> For full weekend folks staying at Mt. Snow-
> The crew who will be staying at Mt. Snow will train till 3:00pm at that point we will go to the house and prepare to ride HP for the next few days before returning on Sunday evening.
>  I have found a house that is incredibly cheep through a fellow coach from SVT. However there is only one bed, but plenty of floor space. We will need to bring sleeping bags and sleeping pads.
>  I am still working through the numbers but it looks like we will be able to keep the cost around $125 a piece. Once again depending on our ticket prices we are given. Due to the limited kitchen it may be the best idea to bring money for food, and eat out for the a few days. On Friday after training it is possible that we will take the crew to Kelly Clark's family restaurant. It is a very cool experience, and a great chance to see olympic snowboarding memorabilia.
> I hope to have all of the details set with in the next 24 hours.

Monday, January 9, 2012

"Sugarloaf, ME" BX training

First I would like to thank the Huber's for a wonderful party on Saturday. It was great to spend time with everyone in a wonderful setting. I hope for many more gathering like that in the future for our snowboard family.

As of now we are waiting on the official word if this weekends BX will be held. Due to the temps and unseasonable weather Sugarloaf has not been able to complete the BX coarse as of now.
More info will be posted tomorrow.

However, I am still going ahead with planing for this event. I am currently working on the final details for our camp. It is possible that we may be getting a van for next weekend. If not, the two possibilities will be renting a van or car pooling with some volunteer drivers. either way we are prepared to make the proper arrangements. For anyone that needs lodging, a very affordable house has been found near the venue. There should be room for everyone although some may need to sleep in sleeping bags, beds will not be available for all..

 As of now the plan is to leave in the evening on Thursday the 12th. We will train BX Friday the 13th, compete in the USASA BX Saturday the 14th and Sunday the 15th and return on Sunday after the event.

In order for me to correctly gage the costs for lodging and transportation please contact me with the following info if your rider is planning on attending this event.

Will you be needing transportation?

Will a parent be traveling with the rider?

Do you need lodging or will you be getting your own?

If you will be driving to the event, do you have room in your vehicle to help transport riders?

Also contact me if your schedule will be different then the planned schedule above.
I would like to arrange a carpool situation for any rider who will be competing in Friday nights rail jam at Stowe and would also like to attend the Saturday and Sunday events at Sugarloaf. If anyone will be able to help with this please let me know.

For riders who will need transportation and lodging, Thursday and Sunday ( travel days ), we will need to make sure each rider has money for food while on the road. We will build in the coast of food for Friday and Saturday Breakfast and Dinner and Sunday breakfast into the cost of the lodging. Coaches and volunteer parents will cook breakfast and dinner. All riders should be sent with money for lunch for the three days on snow at Sugarloaf.

Depending on the number of kids and parents who will need lodging, I believe we can keep the total costs for the weekend below $300 each.

Here are the base numbers I am looking at based on us getting a Van or carpooling.

The ticket price and event price I have been given is not official but, it looks like each day will be $45.

Coaches cost per rider for to cover two coaches food, lodging, potential training tickets, and any other unforeseen costs will be $75.

Lodging, food and transportation per rider based on 8 riders $75

I am working to make this trip as affordable as possible. Please contact me with any additional ideas.

  • MUST register for Saturday's Race to register for Friday Training Day
  • Venue: Sidewinder 
  • Registration: 8:00-2:00
  • Open Practice: 10:00-2:00
  • Event Cost: $10.00 / Training Day Lif Ticket available for $33.00

  • These are two separate races - one on 1/14 & one on 1/15...
  • Venue: Sidewinder
  • Registration: 7:30-8:30 in Comp Center *BE THERE AT 7:30!*
  • Course Inspection:
  • Practice:
  • Riders Meeting:
  • Time Trials (one run seeding format / no cuts):
  •  Racing:
  • Awards & Prize Raffle: One Hour after completion of event
  • Event Cost: $35.00 per race , $45.00 includes competitor lift ticket
  • Discounted Parent Tickets available